Argumentative and Persuasive Essays
There are 8 different types of college essays. It is important for a student to understand the type of essay question asked and write accordingly.
One of the most challenging essays for students is the Argumentative and Persuasive essay. The main points to remember while writing Argumentative/Persuasive essays are as follows:
(1) An Argumentative/Persuasive essay attempts to persuade the reader to the writer's point of view.
(2) The tone of the essay can be serious or funny, but always tries to convince the reader of the validity of the writer's opinion.
(3) The essay may argue openly, or it may attempt to quietly persuade the reader by using irony or sarcasm.
(4) In the introduction paragraph, state how debated the issue is and why it is important to reach a general agreement on the matter.
(5) In every body paragraph, introduce a new reason or fact. There should be at least 3 strong arguments to support your opinion.
(6) In the concluding paragraph, summarize that the position you support is the best possible alternative based on the evidence you provided in the body paragraphs.
(7) Proofread the essay to avoid spelling mistakes and repetition.
To read sample argumentative and persuasive essays and to practice them please download our Essay Writing & Essay Topics app
The Body section of a 5 Paragraph Essay
A 5 paragraph essay usually consists of 3 body paragraphs. Each body paragraph should consist of a strong argument or idea followed by supporting detail points.
The first body paragraph:
1) The first sentence of this paragraph should include a transitional hook which ties it with the end of the introductory paragraph.
2) This paragraph should consist of the strongest argument.
3) After the opening sentence the writer should cite evidence to support the argument.
4) The evidence must revolve around a single theme and should come in the form of a factual information from a primary source.
5) The next two sentences should explain why you have used that piece of evidence.
6) The last sentence of this paragraph should include a transitional hook to tie into the second paragraph of the body.
The second body paragraph:
1) The writer should start this paragraph with a transitional sentence one leading from previous theme to the current theme.
2) This paragraph of the body should include the second strongest argument.
3) Next sentences should support the topic sentence and cite evidences.
4) The last sentence of this paragraph should include a transitional hook to tie into the last paragraph of the body.
The third body paragraph:
1) Like the previous body paragraphs this paragraph should start with a transitional sentence one leading from previous theme to the current theme.
2) This paragraph of the body should include the weakest argument.
3) Next sentences should support the topic sentence and cite evidences.
4) The last sentence in this paragraph should include a transitional concluding hook that signals the reader that this is the final main point discussed.
5) This hook should also lead the reader to the last concluding paragraph.
How to write a conclusion for a 5 paragraph essay ?
Conclusion of a 5 paragraph essay should be powerful as it is the last thought that you are leaving with the reader. To write an effective conclusion the essay writer should consider the following points:
1) Conclusion of an essay should start with the restatement of the thesis statement.
2) It should consist of a summary of the main points from the body section of the essay.
3) It should demonstrate how you have proven your point of view.
4) No new points should be added in the concluding paragraph.
5) Conclusion should bring closure to the essay.
How to write a Descriptive Essay ?
There are 8 different types of college essays. It is important for a student to understand the type of essay question asked and write accordingly. One of the most challenging essays for students is the Descriptive essay.
The main points to remember while writing Descriptive essay are as follows:
(1) Write an outline or a sketch about the topic you want to discuss.
(2) Describe how something looks, feels, taste, smells, sounds or makes one feel.
(3) One may also describe what something is or how something happened.
(4) Discuss one main idea in each body paragraph.
(5) Start each paragraph with a topic sentence and then go into details as you develop your thoughts.
(6) Use clear and concise language. It is important to choose a powerful language.
(7) Write a conclusion that presents the main ideas of the essay.
To read sample Descriptive essays and to practice them please download the app.
Introduction of a 5-paragraph essay
Introduction is the most important part of an essay. In the introductory paragraph:
(1) The writer should try to grab the attention of the reader.
(2) Should include a thesis statement informing the reader what the essay is all about.
(3) The writer may start the essay with:
a) A Statistical Data
b) Direct question
c) Strong quote
d) Historical setting
(4) The writer should narrow the focus and briefly state 3 or more ideas that will be further discussed in the body of the essay.
(5) The last sentence of this paragraph must also contain a transitional hook which moves the reader from the introductory paragraph to the first body paragraph.
How to write a Narrative Essay ?
There are 8 different types of college essays. It is important for a student to understand the type of essay question asked and write accordingly. One of the most challenging essays for students is the Narrative essay.
The main points to remember while writing Narrative essay are as follows:
(1) It tells a story to the reader.
(2) It narrates a personal experience.
(3) Before starting a narrative essay decide on a story.
(4) Write a sketch of events and arrange them in a chronological order.
(5) In the introduction paragraph, set the scene for the situation you will narrate. Get into details and make your story as lively as possible.
(6) In the body paragraphs, narrate the story. Start with smaller events and gradually take the reader to the main scene.
(7) End the story in the concluding paragraph.
Describe the consequences of the narrated events.
To read sample Narrative essays and to practice them please download the app.
Admission Personal Statement Format
An application essay is an opportunity to tell the University about yourself, your achievements, aspiration, life experiences and inspiration.
While write an admission essay be :
(1) Open and reflective.
(2) Do not lie or seek sympathy.
(3) Highlight your wow factor.
(4) Lead with your strongest selling point.
The general format of a good admission essay should consist of:
(1) Grab the attention of the reader.
(2) Mention what you want to study at the university and why?
(3) Make the purpose of writing clear to the reader.
(1) Explain past accomplishments or life changing failures.
(2) Mention what work you have done related to the subject.
(3) Interpret your background.
(1) Describe your professional goals.
(2) Explain work experience, placements and relevant activities you have done in school.
(3) Display you are an applicant with a purpose.
(1) Mention what you found different in the university that will benefit you to pursue the course from here.
(2) Be specific.
(3) Indicate your interest outside the school, i.e. extracurricular activities, hobbies particularly those that show you are a responsible and reliable person.
(1) Conclude your personal statement with a brief summary of your background and goal of going to the university in just one or two sentences.